IS YOUR PET DEHYDRATED?
While the human body roughly consists of 60% water, pets’ bodies are a whopping 80%.
As July became the hottest month on record in 2021, it is more important now than ever to make sure not only you, but your pets are hydrated too.
Hydration is directly related to many bodily functions and a pet’s overall health.
National Pet Hydration Month throws light on the life-threatening consequences of dehydration for pets, as well as the importance of proper hydration. Dehydration in domesticated animals is the result of not drinking enough water and electrolytes or losing too much fluid altogether.
Let’s have a closer look at what causes dehydration:
- A decrease in water and food intake.
- Underlying illnesses (such as diabetes or cancers).
- Loss of fluids due to excessive panting, diarrhea or nausea/vomiting.
- Perspiration from body parts including paws, due to the heat.
- More frequent elimination/urination than normal.
- Overheating or fever.
- Pain due to wounds, burns or injuries.
Here are some warning signs & symptoms that could mean your pet is dehydrated:
- Dry mouth, gums & nose
- Excessive panting & fast breathing
- Low energy levels & decreased speed of response
- Sunken eyes
- Decreased skin elasticity
- Weak appearance
- Imbalanced walking
- Increased heart rate or even a weak pulse
- Hypotension and hypovolemic shock
There are several ways you can prevent your pet from getting dehydrated:
As a rule of thumb, dogs should drink around one ounce of water per pound of body weight each day.
If your pet is healthy, the best way to prevent dehydration is to make sure your pet has an adequate supply of clean drinking water ‘round the clock. Your pet might need extra hydration depending on how much physical exercise they get throughout the day.
For pets with illnesses, it is advisable to visit a vet and see if they need additional help to battle dehydration like electrolytic solution and IV fluids.
Make sure your pets are hydrated, happy and healthy this summer. Browse through our Hydration Collection!