Skip to content
Subscribe and Save 6% Forever on Future Orders!
Subscribe and Save 6% Forever on Future Orders!
COMMON HOUSEHOLD THINGS THAT COULD BE POISONOUS TO YOUR PETS

COMMON HOUSEHOLD THINGS THAT COULD BE POISONOUS TO YOUR PETS

 

THINGS AROUND YOUR HOUSE

Over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen & cold medication, anti-depressants for humans, cleaning products like laundry detergent & bleach, paints, fertilizers, rodenticides & insecticides, veterinary products including flea & tick medication can also be poisonous to your pets if given without checking with your vet first. Make sure you don't leave these things where your pets can reach them!

THINGS AROUND YOUR KITCHEN

Food sweetened with Xylitol is extremely dangerous for pets, as it can cause their blood sugar levels to drop and also lead to liver failure. Other edible items including avocados, onions, garlic, chives, leeks, raisins, grapes, alcohol, chocolate and macadamia nuts can also be poisonous to your pets.

FLOWERS & PLANTS

Many beautiful looking plants & flowers we bring into our house can be poisonous to our pets if ingested. These include daffodils, tulips, lilies, philodendrons, rhododendrons, azaleas, foxglove and sago palm are all poisonous to cats & dogs. They can cause a multitude of reactions including increased heart rate, vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, coma and even death.
 
If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call your vet or any of these helpline numbers*:
Animal Poison Control (ASPCA):  (888) 426-4435
Pet Poison Helpline (24/7 Animal Poison Control Center): (855) 764-7661
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC): 1-888-426-4435
Pet Poison Helpline (North America): 800-213-6680
*Calls may be charged.
Next article PET THEFT AWARENESS DAY: A GUIDE TO PROTECTING YOUR PETS